The Read-Aloud Volunteer Program is a non-profit organization that recruits and places adult volunteers in inner-city public elementary schools in Richmond and San Pablo, CA to read aloud one-on-one to children. The program purchases all of the books and handles all training, coordination and administrative functions. We receive no government support, but are fully funded by donations from individuals, community service groups and corporate grants.
Goals of the Program:
- Provide one-on-one reading aloud experiences for children whose home environments do not include this important activity.
- Provide a personal library of quality books for each child in the program and encourage sharing of these books with family and friends.
- Improve the child’s reading and comprehension skills through their listening to experienced readers and talking with them about the books.
- Help children learn to love books and reading and model literacy’s importance to their future success.
- Build self-esteem in the children who participate in the program.
The information above can be found on the official website of Read-Aloud Volunteer Program. For more details about the organization and to find out how you can volunteer, please visit their website: http://www.ravp.org