Our agency’s mission of delivering nutritious balanced meals to homebound seniors in San Francisco has remained the same since our founding in 1970. For 40 years, MOWSF has set the standard for alleviating the financial and emotional costs of premature and/or inappropriate institutionalization of seniors. MOWSF is the only home-delivered meal program in San Francisco that provides two home-delivered meals a day and the only organization that delivers therapeutic meals city-wide.
Nutritious meals are essential for the health, self-sufficiency, and wellbeing of older adults. The low-cost intervention provided by Meals On Wheels of San Francisco helps to improve the overall health of seniors in the following ways:
- More than 85% of older adults have one or more chronic conditions that could be improved by good nutrition
- Malnutrition in older adults can lead to slower healing rates, increased risk for medical and surgical complications, delayed recovery from traumas, increased length of hospital stays and increased re-admission rates
- Hospital care costs for malnourished seniors are 400% greater than those for properly nourished patients
- The cost of home-delivered meals for one year is equal to the cost of one day in the hospital
- The average hospital stay for well-nourished seniors is 11 days, while the average hospital stay for malnourished seniors is nearly twice as long.
The information above can be found on the official website of Meals on Wheels of San Francisco. For more details about the organization and to find out how you can volunteer, please visit their website: http://www.mowsf.org