Dig Deep Farms is a program of the Alameda County Deputy Sheriffs’ Activities League (DSAL) that has been funded by Kaiser Permanente and the San Francisco Foundation’s Koshland Fellows. This program has multiple purposes:
- Employ local people to work on the Urban Farming Team
- Turn unused and blighted properties into beautiful farms and higher valued space
- Sell locally-grown produce back to the community at an affordable price to encourage health, nutrition and the overall support of community-based food production
- Use all revenue to continue paying people to work and hopefully employ more people over time in this green movement
- Engage the community in the process of beautifying, caring for and eating from their very own local land
Becoming a part of our Dig Deep Farm enterprise will not only help to bring locally grown, fresh produce into your home, but it will connect you to a greater mission of preventing violence, crime and other negative behaviors by employing and engaging local residents in growing community from the roots.
The information above can be found on the official website of Dig Deep Farms and Produce. For more details about the organization and to find out how you can volunteer, please visit their website: http://digdeepfarms.weebly.com