Our mission is to improve the quality of life for people unable to benefit directly from the printed page by providing a service to stimulate minds, stir emotions and foster independence through our “Reading by Listening” program.
Books Aloud is a non-profit organization which has been in existence for over 30 years. We record books onto audio format for those unable to read by conventional means. Books Aloud moved to a brand new library in downtown San Jose, California. in August 2003.Our “Reading by Listening” program consists of some 8,000+ unabridged titles with numerous selections suitable to patrons of all ages. Audio selections are ideally suitable for recreational, educational, inspirational and rehabilitative purposes.
Incorporated in 1973, it has served thousands of permanently and temporarily disabled listeners across the U.S.
Books Aloud is dedicated to making a meaningful difference to the lives of those unable to enjoy the magic of reading the written word.
A few examples of our “Reading by Listening” audience include:
- A two-year-old child blind at birth
- Sisters with retinitis pigmentosa
- A teenager with cerebral palsy
- Twin boys disabled at birth
- A woman confined to her bed with multiple sclerosis
- Seniors with cataracts
- A man who lost his sight in an airplane accident
- Our Reading by Listening program is managed and run by a small yet dedicated staff and a number of volunteers who record, circulate and maintain the audio library and sound studio.
The information above can be found on the official website of Books Aloud. For more details about the organization and to find out how you can volunteer, please visit their website: http://www.booksaloud.org